Last Friday was my kids last day of school. So, now it's time for me to entertain them all summer until school starts back. But, what can I do that won't put a huge strain on the budget? This year, I decided to get creative after reading an article from Momadvice. I let my kids decide what they wanted to do. I already do a lot of fun frugal activites with them so they had some ideas already in mind. It was interesting to me that they put a lot of those activites and lots more that were very frugal on the list. It was also a fun family time as we sat around talking about what we wanted to do this summer. We posted a list of the activites we want to get done this summer and placed it next to our family message board. We will be marking things off the list as we do them to make the list even more fun. I will also be posting about these activites here as we do them, so stay tuned. Here is my family's list of of the things they want to do this summer to give you an idea of what you can do for a little or no money. I am sure your family will come up with their own great ideas.
Family Summer Fun List 2009
1. Go to Burger King Playland and Eat
2. Go to the Summer Library Programs
3. Make Homemade Slushies
4. Have a Homemade Pizza and Movie Night
5. Make and Play with Homemade Play dough
6. Go get some shaved ice from a local store
7. Spend a night with Granny
8. Go to the Park
9. Make Pine Cone Bird Feeders
10. Have a Family Bake Night
11. Make Smores
12. Go to the Movies
13. Go on a nature hike
14. Go to at least 1 movie night at the park
15. Get a free Redbox movie each month (They have 1 free movie code per month)
16. Go Swimming
17. Have an ice cream sundae night
18. Read a LONG book with mommy
19. Go on a picnic
20. Make homemade ice cream
21. Make homemade bubbles and play with them outside
As you can see most of these are pretty cheap. We do take the kids to the movies in the summer which will be the greatest expense but we do go to the matenee to cut cost. There are lots of free movies during the summer at some locations but we don't live near any of those or we would take advantage of that.
Why don't you make a list with your kids before summer gets started. You may have to give them a few ideas, but it is interesting to see what they will say they want to do.
Hope you have a fun frugal summer!