Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Naturally-Dyed Playdough


I had this perfect project picked out this week, but it has rained every single day and we needed to go outside for this project, so we made play dough! I had never made it before and it was fun. Go here to see the first play dough recipe we made. This was the second one we tried.
~
Experiment: Can I make a play dough that the kids will love that is still pretty cheap?
Experiment Taken From: Notebook Entry 04.29.09
Materials Needed: See One Golden Apple for the original recipe
~
Naturally-Dyed Playdough
1 cup flour
1 cup brightly colored juice (blueberry, cherry, pomengranate, grape, etc.)
1/4 cup salt
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Put all ingredients in a pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the dough comes together. This only takes a few minutes. When cool enough to handle, squish and knead until smooth. Voila. Store in a container in the fridge.
Note: A lovely yellow can be made by using the recipe above, replacing the juice with water, and adding a teaspoon of ground turmeric.
~
Results: The play dough was super easy to make, smelled good, and was pretty cheap to make. But best of all, it gave my kids hours of fun! I do however like the ease of the first recipe because I do not have to actually cook the play dough and the colors were so much brighter.
Conclusion: I like both recipes and will definitely use both of them again. Both are cheap and my kids love them!
For more experiments go to Mom Advise.



1 comment:

Renee said...

What a great ideal! I'll have to do this with my kiddo's - they love play dough. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Header Design By: