Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Monday, January 14, 2008

Nathan is doing so much better today!!

I have so much that I want to say. Actually, I am crying after seeing all the prayers that went out for my son Nathan. I know they all helped! First I want to tell everybody about what happened. Sunday morning, I heard someone up in the house. When I got up, I saw that it was Nathan. I did not have my glasses on but I saw something in his mouth he showed me and then when I got there to see what it was it was gone. At first I thought it was a penny, but when I went in the living room, I saw my blood pressure medicine bottle by the computer desk opened. I just about flipped out. I asked Nathan where my medicine was and he pointed to his heart. My dh came in and took Nathan and the medicine bottle to the hospital that is like 5 minutes from our house. They gave him charcoal. At the house I called my mother in law to come and get my other kids and started figuring out how many pills were missing. From what I could tell only one was missing and one capsule was open and I could tell it had been chewed on. They ended up flying him by helicopter to a bigger hospital that had a pediatric intense care unit. I was told that nobody could go with him. So I was really crying, but I tried to be happy for Nathan as they put him in the ambulance to take him to the helicopter pad. He was crying really bad. I have always put my medicine in our medicine cabinet after another experience I had had that Nathan got into them but he did not eat them that time. So, I thought keeping them up would help. I was really tired the night before and put my medicine on the top area of my computer desk and I ate a snack I was feeling really bad shaky and very tired as I had been up with Neil the night before because he had a fever from shots. No excuse I know but I left them there in the container that you get from the drug store, which is suppose to be child resistant, but believe me it is NOT! So anyways, I blame myself and it has been really hard for me to forgive myself. My parents live close to the hospital where Nathan was going and they got there and were able to see him soon after he got to the hospital so at least someone was there that he knew! We got there about 1 1/2 hours later and Nathan was so glad to see us. We got the drug test results back and he had, as I already knew, had the drug in his system. They monitored him all day yesterday and he slept most of the day. The bad thing would be that he would have a lowered blood pressure, but his body actually compensated for that and he had really high heart rate that was a little scary for awhile. The medicine was an extended release so the time that something could happen was extended and that made it even scarier. Nathan woke up this morning at 6 am and he seemed fine. He wanted out of the bed wanted to play etc. I know so many prayers went out for him and I am so thankful! I am also blessed that there were not a lot of pills in the bottle and that something made me wake up and hear him and I know this could have been much worse and with different results. We stopped at a Walmart on the way home and bought a lock box and all of our medicines are in that box and I made sure I had no cleaning supplies out, I keep them all up high. I am a little emotional right now. I feel like I have been through ALOT! I was scared to death and actually I am still scared! I still feel so bad about what I did even though everyone tells me accidents happen. I am working on trying to forgive myself, I think right now that is the hardest part!!! But I am sooo blessed to have friends like all of you out there praying for my son. Thank you all so much. I wish I could have got word to you sooner, but even the small message I left, my dh was screaming we have to go, but I really knew my son needed the prayers and I thank you all lots!

13 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm so glad to hear good news! *HUGS*

Renee's Reading Corner said...

So glad to hear the good news! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us! Keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Deb said...

Awesome news, I just heard and prayed. You will be OK!! You are a good mom, don't let Satan beat you up!! Forgive yourself. (((hug)))
God Bless

Beth said...

I am so, so, so glad to hear that he is okay! I have been so worried about you and him. My heart is overflowing with gratitude right now! What a blessing that he is well, that you were able to find him when you did.

And it truly was an accident, what happened with him. You did not do anything out of malice; you never imagined something like this would happen.

Because of this, you have made your home even safer from future accidents -- perhaps this even was the catalyst that will now prevent something else from happening. And so many of US, your blogging audience, will be so much more careful after reading what happened to you. The Lord has said that "all things shall give thee experience and be for thy good." So please know that you're still a wonderful mom!!

Just so, so, so glad he is okay. I know you are too. :-)

Renee's Reading Corner said...

Just stopped back to add to my comment and found others already have said it so well. I totally agree with Deb and Beth's comments.
You are a great Mom!

nora.lakehurst said...

I am so sorry. I hope that you will find peace in you heart and mind. I dont know exactly how you feel but to feel completely helpless. My son Trumie almost died at two months and now is healthy bouncing three year old. I am so glad that you are ok. Now all you have to do is stop blaming yourself. And dont keep asking your self "what if" because now the what if is gone and he is okay. Sure love ya ME!(karla)

Mari said...

I'm so happy he is doing well. I'll post an update on my blog - lots of people will be happy to hear this! Praise God!

Heidi @ GGIP said...

I'm glad to hear that he's okay. That is an unimaginably scary story. Everyone makes mistakes, so I hope you will quickly move on and just learn (which it sounds like you did) and continue being the good mom you are.

Dawn said...

Beth put it very well, I am not very careful with my medicines because I just assume my kids aren't that adventurous, but they are, and I should be more careful. After reading your experience I'm definitely going to put up my meds!

Becky said...

Lorie, I'm so glad Nathan is okay that would be so awful. This really was an accident so I hope you will move beyond the blaming and you are already making your home safer. Take care and don't beat yourself up.

Laura said...

Oh Lorie! I'm am so glad for that news. I agree with everyone else - you are an awesome mom, and that was just a mistake - I would never have thought he would get into them either. Now you just know now to leave them out again. Such good news!

Mary said...

Lori,

Praise God! Our prayers were answered.

I know how guilty you feel. My daughter got into my meds when she was two and I had a very hard time forgiving myself, even though the meds were on a high shelf and in a child proof bottle. Believe me, there is no such thing as childproof. I was only in the bathroom for a few minutes. These things happen so quickly. It certainly isn't your fault. My daughter will be 40 years old in three weeks. Thank goodness her boys never had the climbing skills that she had.

Take care. I continue to keep both you and Nathan in my prayers.

Blessings and hugs,
Mary

Anonymous said...

tibia money tibia gold tibia item runescape money runescape gold tibia money tibia gold runescape gold runescape accounts tibia gold tibia money runescape money runescape gp buy runescape gold tibia gold tibia item buy runescape money runescape gold runescape items tibia money tibia gold

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Header Design By: