Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Monday, December 11, 2006

Holiday Baking

Well, several other blogs I visit have been asking about holiday memories. I think some of my greatest holiday memories are holiday baking with my mom and grandmother. I will never forget trying to make cream candy. My grandmother could almost always make it work. My mom never really was very good with fudge and that became something I could do quite easily. I never have mastered cream candy and do not even try, even though it is my favorite candy at the holidays. As I grew up on my own I wanted to do the same things with my family. My dh has always had managerial positions and has had me make the candies for people at work. I have always made cute little boxes to put the stuff in. This year, I am doing a whole lot less, but I am still doing some. I was planning on doing very little until my dh asked me, "You are still making the candy this year aren't you?" So, I am making it, but less and it is going to take me longer. Two years ago, I was on complete bedrest with the twins and my dh made me sit in a kitchen chair and help guide him through making the coconut balls, his favorite. So, for today I decided to share some of my holiday recipes with you all. I keep all of my hoilday recipes in a green 3 ring binder with the recipes in sheet protectors. This has made it really easy for me to know what I want to make and I can find my recipes easily in one place.

Coconut Balls
1 ( 14 oz.) bag coconut
1 cup light corn syrup
milk chocolate bark coating
whole almonds

In a food processor, chop coconut until it is fine. Add the cup of corn syrup and mix well. Keeping hands moist with water, roll the coconut mixture into small balls. Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. If you desire, place a whole almond in the center on top. Place in refrigerator to chill well. When slightly chilled, remove from the refrigerator and dip into the melted chocolate bark. Place on a wax paper covered tray to allow chocolate to set up.

Carmel Fudge
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 1/2 Tablespoons white corn syrup
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix white sugar, brown sugar, syrup, and cream thoroughly. Cook over medium heat until mixture reaches the soft ball stage. Remove from heat. Add the butter and walnuts. Cool for 5 minutes. Beat until it holds its shape or is no longer glossy. Pour into 8X8 buttered pan. Cut when cooled.

Snowy White Fudge
1 cup margarine
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
4 cups sugar
1 package white block chocolate, chopped
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow creme
1 tsp. vanilla

Let butter begin to melt in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Brush the sides of the pan with the melted butter. Add evaporated milk and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, about 8 minutes, whisking constantly to dissolve sugar. Cook over medium heat whisking frequently, to soft ball stage (236 degrees), about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add white chocolate (I pre-melt in microwave), marshmallow creme and vanilla; stir until well blended. Quickly pour onto buttered 13X9X2 baking pan. When firm, cut into 1 in ch squares. Makes 117 pieces or about 4 pounds.

Tiger Butter Fudge
1 pound white chocolate bark
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Line a 15X10 inch jelly roll pan with wax paper. Heat chocolate in microwave on high 1-2 minutes or until melted. Stir until smooth. Add peanut butter and microwave on high until melted. Stir again until smooth. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. In another microwave safe dish, melt chocolate morsels on high until melted. Pour chocolate over peanut butter mixture and swirl through with a knife until you get desired effect. Refrigerate several hours until firm. Break into pieces.

Peanut Butter Fudge
2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tablespoon butter
small pinch salt

Cook sugar, salt, and milk to soft ball stage. Remove from heat, add butter, vanilla, and peanut butter. Beat until mixture starts to thicken. Pour into a buttered plate, Slice and serve.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

OMGosh! I should not have looked at this post! Now I want candy!! Those sound so good Lorie. My mouth is watering. lol

Rachel said...

Yum Lori! I'm going to have to try some of these. My diet has gone out the window lately.

'ROCKIN GRANDMA' said...

Yummy!!!I have got to snag these!!!What diet lol!
Hope you are doing well!Hugs,Linda

Beckea said...

Wow, yum! Thanks for sharing, Lorie!!!

Becky

GAFlyGirl said...

oh my goodness these sound DELICIOUS Lorie!! thank you for sharing them with us! generally I hate baking, but somehoe love it when the holiday's hit.

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Header Design By: