Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Monday, August 6, 2007

Summer Reading- One Tuesday Morning Review


Here I go with another Christian Fiction writer! I think I really like those kind of books. I heard about this book because someone was giving away the sequel to this book and I knew I had to read this series. The book is One Tuesday Morning by Karen Kinsbury. I had read one other book by Karen and decided to give this book a try because I really liked the other one, Like Dandelion Dust .
This book is really powerful! The story is about two families. The Micheal's and The Bryan's. One father works as a business man and the other is a firefighter in New York. The Micheal's guy's life is all about his career and he leaves little time for family and God. The Bryan guy is a dedicated firefighter and family man and has a firm testimony of Jesus Christ. Mrs. Bryan has a hard time with believing in God. Anyways the Micheal's live in California while the Bryan's live in New York. Eric Michaels was on a business trip working at his firms office in one of the twins towers on September 11th. The funny thing is that these two men look so much alike that they could be twins. I knew all along that the two were going to get mixed up identities after the fall of the towers. That really is mostly what the book is about without giving too much away. After reading this book, I thought about what I learned from this book and many of the things that I thought of, the author stated in a letter at the end some of the same things I thought of. 1. That family should come first in life, NO job should ever become more important, it is the relationships that are so important in our lives. 2. The need for God in our lives and how important that is 3. The need for daily scripture study and the time needed for developing a relationship with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.(I love how the character of Jake Bryan read scriptures each day and wrote in a journal about how the scriptures affected him!) 4. I felt this in the book, that you could learn this, but I feel like I already know this...death is coming to all of us we need not run from it but prepare for it by living our lives the way God would have us to do. I hate to say I learned things from fiction, many of these things I already knew! You know, my family might not have much money, but we are happy and spend time together. Sometimes, I admit that I get caught up in day to day life and do not live life like it is going to be my last with my family and friends. I am planning on reading the sequel to this book, but it might take awhile to get to it because I have a few books in front of that book. I had a list of about 10 books that I told the library I wanted to read and they ordered a lot of them. I do not know how I am going to get all of them read in two weeks, but we shall see. As, you can probably tell, I really enjoyed this book. The beginning is kind of hard because they go back and forth between the families talking about their lives but once the attacks hit, the book really gets moving. The evacuation of the building was really kind of hard to read because, I kept picturing all of the people in those stairs and trying so hard to get out of a shaking building! I liked the book as you can tell and would recommend it, highly!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

This sounds like an amazing book. I'll have to see if I can get a copy. It amazes me how many books you can read while having 4 kids. With my two I rarely have any time!

Lorie said...

Michelle, reading is my stress reliever, maybe like your running? But I mostly read in the morning after my personal study before the kids get up and after all are in bed. I try to get most of the stuff done in the daytime so I can have this time and luckily my kids sleep pretty well. I set a goal of 30 books this year because I knew I would have an extra kid. I have not read that many yet. I read 50 last year. I hated reading as a child and just really got into it about 5 years ago when we did a book exchange at work and I had so many great books to read, now I have to BEG the library to order the books I want. They told me this last time that the books I ask for are always popular, thats why I just do not know how I am going to get the all the new books they got for me read in two weeks? But, since money is very tight, I am not going to miss out on reading a book I really wnat for FREE~ lol

Michelle said...

Good point, I didn't think of it that way. When you want to do something, you make time for it. I've thought about getting up before my kids but that means less sleep. ;) I might start doing it though. I'd love to read some of these books you recommend. I'll check with my library and see if I can get them free too, thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is great book and so is the sequel!! Wanted to let you know I mailed your apron today!! Last week got away from me.

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Header Design By: