Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Friday, April 27, 2007

Family Fridays-Tin Can Ice Cream

Well, this is not something we did this week but we do this every summer and I wanted to share. I did this in the elementry schools in my county when I worked as a County Extension Agent. I decided to bring the fun home. We make Tin Can Ice Cream. My oldest son loves making it and I can not wait to do this with my 2 year old twins this summer. Here is the recipe:
~
Tin Can Ice Cream
~
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 cup Half and Half
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Nuts or Fruit, as desired
~
1. Combine ingredients in a one pound coffee can. Place a tight fitting plastic lid on the can.
2. Place inside a 3-pound coffee can.
3. Pack larger can with crushed ice. Pour 1/2 cup rock salt evenly over ice.
4. Place a tight fitting lid on the three pound can. Tape with masking tape. (It is possible for the lid to come off and the contents to spill.)
5. Roll the cans back and forth on a table or the floor for about 15 minutes.
6. Open the outer can. Remove the inner can; wipe lid clean and open.
7. Use a spatula to stir the mixture and scrape the sides of the inner can. Replace the lid.
8. Drain liquid from the larger can. (The salty liquid is called brine.)
9. Replace the smaller can inside the larger can. Pack with additional ice and salt.
10. Cover. Roll cans back and forth for 10 minutes.
11. Open outer can. Remove inner can. Wipe lid clean, open and enjoy.
~
NOTE: My family does not drink coffee, so I got coffee cans from my office. However, since leaving there, I have used the ziploc bag method instead of the tin cans. You use 2 gallon and 1 gallon ziplock FREEZER bags. Personally, I like the bags better.

For more Family Fridays ideas go to Monkey Kisses.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Mmm, I'm going to have to try this some day :D

Monkey Kisses said...

OH wow.. that sounds so fun!!!! I am definately going to have to make that a summer ritual!!!

Anonymous said...

do you still roll the zip lock bags like you would coffee cans?

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Header Design By: