Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Friday, May 25, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday-Famous 7 Layer Dip



Mexican 7 Layer Dip
~
Bottom Layer
~
Chili Bean Dip
Ingredients
2 garlic cloves
1 small onion
2 fresh green chiles
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1-2 tsps hot chili powder
14-oz can kidney beans
3 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
Finely chop the garlic and onion. Seed and finely chop the green chiles. Heat oil in a frying pan and add garlic, onion, green chiles and chili powder. Cook gently about 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onion is softened. Drain the can of kidney beans, reserving the liquid. Mash all but 2 Tbsps of the beans to a paste. (Recipe calls for blender/food processor but you can use a potato masher for better texture.) Add the mashed beans to the fying pan with 3 Tbs of the reserved liquid. Heat gently, stirring to mix well. Stir in the whole kidney beans and the cheese. Cook gently for about 2-3 minutes, stirring until all the cheese melts. Add salt and plenty of pepper, to taste.
~
Second Layer
~
Use any Spanish Rice Mix, cooked per package direstions.
~
Third Layer
~
The next layer is guacamole. Take three pretty ripe avocados and mash them with a potato masher along with 2 Tbs lemon juice and 1/2 tsp black pepper. This leaves it pretty chunky which works well in a dip setting. It works best to evenly space a bunch of dollops, then spread. You can use your own guacamole recipe too.
~
Fourth Layer
~
For the next layer, take 1 1/4 cups of sour cream and mix in 1 packet of *hot* taco seasoning. Then go with the dollop and spread method again.
~
Fifth Layer
~
Seed and dice 1 to 2 tomatos and sprinkle.
~
Six Layer
~
Then, 1 small can of Mario brand sliced olives with jalapenos, drained. Sprinkle.
~
7th Layer
~
Last up is grated cheddar cheese, add enough to cover top.
~
Serve with tortilla chips.
~
Note: This recipe may take a little while to make, but it is oh so good! I found this on the web somewhere, don't remember where, but when I go to parties and am asked to bring something this is what I bring and there are NO leftovers to bring home!
~
Happy Memorial Day!
~
For more great recipes, go to Overwhelmed With Joy.

11 comments:

Carey said...

I love this recipe. Its great for parties! Yummy!

Lori said...

Oh, Lorie, this sounds great! I have made 7 layer dip MANY times, but have never used rice......I LOVE that idea...what a great meal idea for the family. With the rice and the beans it makes it a complete protein....this sounds like a fun Friday night "Family Fun Night" dinner! Thanks for posting it! Can't wait to try it!

Blessings,
In Him,
Lori4squaremom
http://lori.scottdomain.com

Magi said...

I'm with Lori. I've made 7 layer dip a lot, and never thought to add rice. I even loved the 7 layer burrito when Taco Bell had it. It had rice, and I still never thought to add it to my dip. Duh!!!

Thanks!

Jammy said...

This is a winner!

Jenn

UKZoe said...

I've seen these before but never with a photo, so now I know what it looks like hooray. I have never seen anything like it at pot lucks over here so wonder how it would go down if I made it, being so different. Only one way to find out isn't there.

annie said...

This looks delicious!

annie
My Life as Annie!

Rae said...

Yum! I love 7 layer dip, this recipe sounds great. Thanks for sharing... have a wonderful weekend! :)

Joyful Days said...

I love 7 Layer Dip!! This looks marvelous.

Michelle said...

I love Mexican 7 layer dip, but I've never made it myself LOL This sounds delicious- thanks!

Overwhelmed! said...

This looks delicious!

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

I hope to see you again this Friday!

Anonymous said...

tibia money tibia gold tibia item runescape money runescape gold tibia money tibia gold runescape gold runescape accounts tibia gold tibia money runescape money runescape gp buy runescape gold tibia gold tibia item buy runescape money runescape gold runescape items tibia money tibia gold

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Header Design By: